Monday, January 21, 2008

Good News!!

2:30 pm - Well, we went to the pediatrician's office this morning. The dr. was able to get the blood he needed out of the IV they put in last night. He was going to give him a bag of fluid while we waited for the test results but after drawing the blood was unable to save the IV. So, he sent us home to wait. Nash had thrown up while we were waiting to see the dr. so when we got him home we gave him more nausea medicine. The dr. finally called back and said that his bacteria count is down to 1.2 (which is MUCH better than the 9.3 when he was first admitted and even better than the 3.9 when he was released). The dr. said that all the things that were elevated and shouldn't have been are still going down and getting closer to normal. So, what do we do now? Stay at home and wait for him to get better! The dr. said to call if he doesn't start getting better, otherwise all we can do now is wait. Fun! At least it's finally good news!

5:30 pm - The doctor's office just called me back. This morning when they took blood to do Nash's lab work, I had asked about the possibility of Rhumatic fever. The pediatrician said he'd run a test that would check to see if Nash had had any recent strep infections (you have to have strep before you can have Rhumatic fever). We were told it would take 2-3 days to get those test results back. Well, apparently the results are back already. It appears that Nash has been exposed to strep. Which means that he may have possibly had Rhumatic fever. There are several symptoms that go with Rhumatic fever that Nash hasn't had and there isn't an exact test for Rhumatic fever, so it's hard to say that's what it was for sure. The nurse said they'd call in antibiotics for him, so we'll go from there!

1 comment:

Justin & Ashlee said...

Glad to hear things are getting better! Tell the kids hi for me.