Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Political Views

Here's my question of the day (and has been quite often lately):  How the heck am I married to someone who has completely OPPOSITE opinions about government than I do?!

1-Travis & I cannot even discuss politics involving education.  It starts friendly, but it ends ugly!  I think part of the reason why is that I feel like he hasn't got a clue as to what he's talking about because he hasn't been in the trenches like I have.  Dude would TOTALLY destroy public education as we know it if he was in office (and not for the better).

2-Gay rights - again, can't even really discuss it.  I think part of it is that Travis tends to joke about certain topics & I don't find it funny.... at all really.  Maybe it has something to do with my brother coming out & the relationship I have with him.  I don't really know why I feel the way I do about gay rights.  Perhaps because I'm human?  I have empathy for others?  I don't care what people do in their own home?  I don't think the government should be able to tell people what to do in their personal life?

3-He listens to talk radio.  This gets him all sorts of riled up & his panties in a knot.  Do not want to have a conversation with him after he's been listening.

4-Apparently the guys Travis works with share many similar ideas so he thinks he's got some support for his ideas.  Dude!  They are all oil workers that work with you 14 hrs a day for 14 days at a time.  Of course they aren't going to argue against your point of view!  Duh.

5-The other day I finally told him, "Look.  If you don't like what we've got, do something about it and run for office.  Otherwise, quit your bitchin'."  His response?  "I'm not running for office!  I do my part...I vote."  Right...like one dude voting is going to change the ENTIRE way the government is run in this country.  I had to walk away.

Like I've told Travis on a regular basis: "Choose your battles.  It isn't always worth it."  I've had to learn to let his political views go in one ear and immediately out the other.  Otherwise it would be an ugly place to live during the entire YEAR before the election!

2 comments:

Amanda Griggs said...

John and I have different opinions on certain subjects, but we agree on things for the most part.

Nicholas Hooton said...

Well Misty the good news is you're both wrong, so you don't even need to argue anymore. Just tell him Nic said you're both wrong so there's no point. You're welcome.