Sunday, July 20, 2014

Mom's Allergy Test

So I had my allergy test scheduled for July 9th.  I finished all the steroid that Lindsey gave me about 5-6 days prior to my appt.  I really didn't think anything of it because it wasn't one of the medications that's listed on the paper they give you of medications not to take prior to testing.  Thus the saga begins....

I ended up being 15 minutes late for my appt because I woke up to a nearly flat tire.  Awesome.  I picked up my brother to take him to work and filled my tire up with air at my dad's shop.  I figured I'd just go in and get it looked at after my appt.  After I fill it up I can hear the air coming out of it.  Not awesome.  I dropped my brother off at work and headed straight for Les Schwab.  I was hoping it would be a quick 20 minute fix seeing as it was already 8:30 and my appt was at 9 in North Logan.  Turns out, it was not a quick anything fix.  I didn't leave Les Schwab until about 9.  Luckily it was only a rock that created a hole in my tire and they were able to at least fix it.

I made it almost to the allergy clinic when they called to tell me that if I wasn't there by 9:30 I was going to have to reschedule.  I had called at 8:50 and left a msg with one of the receptionists at the ENT's office (they run the allergy clinic too) about what was going on and she said she'd let them know.  Fortunately for me, I was just down the street at this point.  I finally get there and get in and they get the test started.  I was lucky, they used my forearms for the test rather than my back like they do on the kids.  About 10 minutes after they poke me a nurse comes in to do my controls.  She does the controls up on my right arm and says she'll be back in 10 minutes.  Meanwhile I'm waiting for my arms to start breaking out like mad because my right arm is starting to itch.  After 10 more minutes goes by the nurse comes back in and says, "Well that's weird.  You're reacting to one you aren't suppose to.  Let's do this again."  Thus I get the control shots (3) a second time.  Another 10 minutes goes by and she comes back to....surprise...the same results.  She decides that the 3rd time's the charm and does the controls yet again.  Another 10 minutes goes by and the same result.  She gets another nurse to come in and look at it.  She asks me "Why do you have to be so difficult?!"  I just look at her and said, "Well, you've met my kids, right?"  She laughed and said "Oh yea."  They decide to stick me with a rye and a grass and come back 10 minutes later.  The grass was about the size of a nickel and the rye wasn't too little either.  The poor girls are stumped as to why I"m having the reaction that I am having.  Sonya asks me if I've quit all the meds I"m suppose to and if I ate any of the foods I'm not suppose to.  I tell her yes and no.  She asks if there are any other meds I've taken like steroids.  I tell her that I finished  my steroids about Thursday or Friday of the week prior (it's Monday).  She looks at me and says, "Oh that is still in your system.  This test isn't valid.  You're going to have to come back and do this all over again!"  Crap.

For this test I had reacted to grass, sagebrush, a little bit to Box Elder and a little bit to Malt.  My grass reaction was very, very large.  Sonya told me she thinks I'm going to be super allergic when I do this test again because the steroid was masking my reaction.  Awesome.

So, I've rescheduled for August 5th.  Here's to hoping that I have a good end result

No comments: