Thursday, March 16, 2017

B has surgery

Today was a very busy day.  We started our day off by heading to the Cache Valley Hospital for Brooke's ear surgery.  Dr. Blotter wasn't sure what he was going to do when he got inside her ear.  We had several different options.  It really just depended on what he found when he got in there.

We had taken her in 2 and a half weeks ago and that's when we set the surgery up.  We went back two days later because she had a bunch of drainage coming out of her left ear.  Turned out she had puss oozing out of her tube (the tube that was supposedly completely non functional).  She was put on a z pack and we were sent home to continue drops as well.  I was crossing my fingers there wouldn't still be infection in there today.

B was really good and totally brave when we check in and went back to outpatient surgery.  She knew what was going to happen and had her Grandma Butter blanket with her ("mine").  When the anesthesiologist came in she started to get a bit nervous.  When I tried to walk out with her I knew she was going to cry.  When I tried to turn her over to the anesthesiologist she took about two steps away from me and realized I wasn't coming and ran back to me crying.  She was scared and didn't want to go.  I convinced her I would see her in 20 minutes.  The poor anesthesiologist had to pick her up and carry her to the OR!  She didn't wig out completely, but she totally cried.

About 20 minutes later Dr. Blotter came in.  He said that when he made the incision into the right ear (the one that was severely retracted) it did really well.  There was still a lot of infection in the left ear.  He said that the tube was in fact non functional.  He said that the ear wasn't "a pus volcano", but there was still a lot of junk in there.  Just imagine if I hadn't gotten her on antibiotics two weeks ago!  He ended up using a titanium tube - those are the ones she's done the best with.  He also only put one tube in each ear.  I'm hoping that doesn't come back to haunt us.  He said that he chose to just do one because it's less risk of perforation and having to go in and do a fat graft later.  He also feels like since she's older and has done so well for so long that perhaps she may do better this go round.  We shall see!  She has a follow up on March 29th.  I'm crossing my fingers we don't have to unblock a tube!

When she came out of recovery she didn't cry or whimper at all!  She was SO good!  There were a few tears, but no screaming or major crying at all!  She did get a bit nauseous a couple times.  I was surprised that she complained more of the right ear hurting than the left.  Dr. Blotter did say he flushed that left ear out a good couple of times to be sure he got all the infection out.  We were able to go home at about 11 am (surgery was scheduled for 9:15 but she didn't go back until about 9:40).

When we got in the car Travis asked her if she wanted to go to Angie's and she said no.  I asked her if she wanted to go home and she said no.  I asked her what she wanted and she said, "I want to go see Grandpa Scott."  So, we drove to Grandpa's office and she had about a 30 minute visit with Grandpa.  Grandma Terri stopped by later and brought her a stuffed animal (she loves them and can't ever have enough).  She's done so well today you'd never know she had surgery!  Hoping it's still like that tomorrow!  If it is, I may just send her to school so she doesn't miss centers!

No comments: