Thursday, November 3, 2011

Halloween week

Tuesday after Sam got out of dance class I took the kids to my Grandpa Maughan's house.  Grandpa took our dog, Chloe a few months back because she kept getting off her leash & getting picked up by the dog cops.  The kids were super excited to see her.  I was impressed she was still alive!  It is a farm after all!

The kids were cute in their Halloween costumes.  Caleb was pretty happy with how his pumpkin costume turned out.  He was sooooo excited about the hat before I got it made.  When it came down to it though, he didn't want much to do with it!  I think it was because it was too big.  I was happy I found Nash's costume for a whopping $9.  Brookelyn's ladybug costume was a Samantha hand-me-down.  Sam's costume was the one I made this spring for her to wear to literacy night at school.  I couldn't believe how warm it was on Halloween night!  I think it was the warmest Halloween I can remember in ages!  I took the kids to a few houses around our neighborhood & then we headed out to Grandpa Scott & Grandma Kris's house.  Caleb fell asleep on our way out & stayed that way for much longer than I had anticipated.  I took the other 3 kids out trick or treating around Grandpa & Grandma's neighborhood.  They ended up with quite the haul - as usual!

Samantha had another piano recital this pas Saturday.  She looks quite grumpy in this picture.  I'm not sure if she was grumpy because I was taking her picture to send to her dad or if it was because she had to quit playing with her brother at home to come play her recital pieces!  She did good though - grumpy or not.  I'm impressed that she's still practicing away & doesn't complain about it (much).  She's even taught Nash how to play 2 or 3 songs!

I started this quilt at the end of May.  I was making it for my cousin & his wife because they had their first baby.  My cousin's sister & his mom asked me to make it.  I undertook the project, as well as a carseat canopy and a reversible diaper bag.  I didn't think much of it at the time.  Well, five months later I finally finished the quilt!  I got the other 2 projects done in time for her baby shower in June.  This quilt kinda kicked my butt though.  Not because it was hard, but because there were a lot of steps.  Since it was made of flannel there is a fleece pad.  So, I had to cut out 56 squares of flannel x 2 & 56 squares of fleece.  Then I had to sew 2 pieces of flannel & a piece of fleece together by stitching a 1 inch seam all the way around the block.  Then I had to go back & sew an x through the middle of each square.  Then I could stitch the squares into rows & then the rows into the final quilt!  After that, I had to go back & snip all the seams to rag it!  Whew!  Don't think I'll make another one like this for less than $50 + the cost of fabric next time!  It did turn out super cute though.

The other day I got to daycare to pick up Caleb & Brooke & this is how I found Caleb!  Poor kid must have been completely pooped to fall asleep here!  He was actually almost in the hallway & as you can tell, he was in the middle of all the toys!


Justin & Ashlee said...

The quilt turned out cute and so did all the costumes! Rag quilts are so nice and cute, but boy do they take alot of time.

Tannie Datwyler said...

CUTE costumes - and Sam looks so grown up in that picture before her piano recital.