Friday, February 3, 2012

Crock Pot Recipe Day 16

Southwestern chicken
From Fix It & Forget It Big Cookbook
Page 387

Makes 6 servings
Prep time 5 minutes
Cooking time 3-8 hours
Ideal slow cooker size 6 qt

2 15 1/4 oz cans corn, drained
15 oz can black beans, rinsed & drained
16 oz jar chunky salsa, divided
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 c. lowfat shredded cheddar cheese

1. Combine corn, black beans, and 1/2 c. salsa in slow cooker.
2. Top with chicken.  Pour remianing salsa over chicken.
3. Cover.  Coo on high 3-4 hours or on low 708 hours.
4. Sprinkle with cheese.  Cover 5 minutes for cheese to melt.

I only had 1/2 c. salsa so, thinking I knew better (ha!) I used 2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes.  I also only used about 4 ckn breasts because I didn't want to stack them in my slow cooker.  Other than that, I left everything the same.  I think if I had only used 1 can of the diced tomatoes it would have gone better.  It was ok, I thought the chicken was really good.  Everything else was just too tomatoey.  Stick to the recipe on this one & you'll be better off!

1 comment:

Justin & Ashlee said...

I have a crock pot chicken taco recipe in the family cookbook that you may like better. It is pretty similar :)